Northumberland

Sunday, 17 June 2012

June has always been a pretty exciting month for me, its my birthday month along with my husbands and our meeting "anniversary." So we like to combine it all together and do stuff to celebrate all three occasions. I think I mentioned a while back that I had found a pretty good deal on Groupon for a mini-getaway in Northumberland. The voucher got us two nights in a luxury Wig-Wam situated at Herding Hill Campsite in Haltwhistle, Northumberland. I'm from that part of the country so I know how lovely it is and I was very excited to get up into the countryside. The owners of the campsite were really lovely and so accommodating, you could tell they were really genuine and wanted their venture to work. The campsite was really well done up and the wig-wam's were really comfy, and the addition of a hot tub made it extra special. I'm not shy of 'proper' camping, I was brought up having tent and caravan holidays and I'm a regular festival goer, but I think I'm a convert to the 'glamping' experience!

We spent the first afternoon soaking in the hot tub and roasting marshmallows over a fire pit before getting snuggled up in our duvets and having a pretty intense game of Trivial Pursuit that ended in a stale mate because we just aren't very clever haha. The next morning was the birthday boys day and we made a trip up the windy military roads to Vindolanda the Roman colony ruins where we got to see a live excavation of a new bit of the site as well as explore what life was like during the building of Hadrian's Wall. The museum with artefacts displayed was so fascinating, especially the ornate jewellery, its baffling to think those rings and bangles survived under the ground for thousands of years! When we got back to the campsite we had a massive birthday picnic and over indulged on sausage rolls and cake. Phil being a bit of a geek, asked for 'gadgets' for his birthday so after a few days thought I decided to buy him a telescope, he really loved it so that made me happy I was just gutted the weather has been so rubbish lately so we've not been able to use it yet.

A good time was definitely had by all and I'm certain we will make another visit to Herding Hill in future.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I've never been camping in my life, but the little wigwams look awesome! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time, you make me wanna go camping :) xox

    ReplyDelete

Have anything to say? Drop me a comment! I read and appreciate every single one.