Study space tour.

Thursday, 8 August 2013


Forgive me for gushing a little bit here but I decided I was finally going to fulfil a bit of a materialistic dream of mine and purchase myself an iMac. Now I've not gone all out, its second hand and a much older model than the flash new ones but I'm so happy with it you have no idea. I bought it because I was sick of using an 11inch notebook to edit blog photographs on, it just couldn't handle Photoshop so its been on my to-buy list for quite some time. Another reason is that I've decided that I'm going to be returning to university in 2014 (acceptance permitting) to tick off another long-time dream of mine of becoming a midwife, its been a pretty big decision and moving up to Newcastle has triggered me sitting down and really thinking about what I want from my life, so with being a student in mind I wanted to set up a little corner of the house for studying in, I decided on the conservatory as its got the least traffic and its actually quite inspiring sitting down at the desk and looking out over my nana's wonderful garden. So here's a little tour of my study space.




The desk is the Ikea Micke, I originally just bought the standalone desk but one day was browsing in the bargain bin section and came across the drawer unit being sold at 50% off simply because there was a small chip on the top. Even though its not a co-ordinating colour I just had to have it, the bottom drawer is a filing system and its great for keeping our important paperwork organised. And then as I really liked the look of the complete desks I bought the add on unit, so its a bit cobbled together and not quite perfect but I really like it, the shelves and magnetic whiteboard are great for displaying little trinkets and photographs. The desk lamp is also Ikea and is one of their clip on LED numbers which is actually really great as I can focus the light onto the desk should I be writing, plus with it being clip-on it doesn't take up extra desk space. I've also got my bunny night light from dotcomgiftshop.



The numbers block calendar is from Sainsburys home, I've seen them all over the internet and wanted one for a while but I'll admit that whilst its looks lovely its a massive faff to remember to change it around every day, its currently a day out of date but I've gone weeks without touching it. I've also got a display of little trinkets such as the cake toppers I made myself for our wedding cake, my pinhole camera and the vintage brownie camera. The pen holder is another Ikea gem, a plant pot which I've repurposed for my desk. The two framed pictures are free printables I found on Pinterest, you can find the Awake My Soul to Sing one here and the customisable letter print here.


Again the bookcase is an Ikea Billy and the first piece of flat pack furniture I've ever built myself! I don't really do flat-pack because I tend to not read the instructions thinking I can just make it up as I go along and then when it goes wrong I fly into a furious rage, which is why I leave it all to Phil, but this time I thought I'd give it a go and despite the back piece not fitting on properly I think I've done a pretty good job! The cat poster is actually hand-made wrapping paper from Paperchase but I absolutely loved the print I decided to hang it up on the window. And finally in a bid to get more organised I've hung up a calendar where I can write important events and see month-by-month what I'm doing. I didn't want to waste money buying a yearly calendar seeing as we're almost done with 2013 so I had a look for some printable ones and I found this simple by stylish one on kateandtrudy.com. I think I might print my own calendar every year because there's some really nice ones out there!

So that's my little space, its nice to be able to sit at a proper desk and I'm absolutely loving how different working on the Mac OS is, I edited the photos for this post so easily in Photoshop I'm hoping it'll encourage me to get out there and improve my photography skills.

Follow on Twitter @gladragsandbags
Like on Facebook
Read on Bloglovin

14 comments:

  1. So cute and colourful !
    I love your chair !!
    Where is that from ?
    Launa xx
    Wowsville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Launa, its also from Ikea (surprise surprise haha!!)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is GORGEOUS. It's one of my dreams to have a studio in a conservatory. Or a studio in the attic. Or a studio, full stop. So gorgeous and cosy. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light is the best thing, its also really nice to look out at the garden while I'm working :)

      Delete
  3. It looks amazing! I can only dream of having such a tidy space. The light in there is fantastic as well. x

    Just me Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it won't stay tidy for long! xx

      Delete
  4. OH my goodness! I am so excited to see this post. As I was checking my referring sites on Google Analytics, I was wondering what this "gladragsandthehandbags.com" site was...little did I know you found my calendar printable!

    I LOVE your space, and in fact have the same Ikea Micke desk in black/white. We must have very similar style because I just adore everything about your new study...and I'm super thrilled you like the calendar pages. New 2014 ones will be out in November or so and you're welcome to just keep printing mine :) Do you follow on BlogLovin?! xo

    Jessica @ Kate & Trudy
    www.kateandtrudy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much for your kind words! I'm totally in love with your calender its perfect for keeping me organised!

      Delete
  5. Your space is so pretty!!!! when we can move out of my mum's house I can decorate mine all pug-like haha. ^_^


    bonjourgazel.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gazel! I love pugs :)

      Delete
  6. I love your workspace too...Mine is such a terrible mish-mash of stuff and it's NEVER tidy and oh, oh! I could complain forever! Still, it's mine and I have a love/hate relationship with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love all the little trinkets that make your workspace so interesting. I'd love to dedicate a specific work space, perhaps it's something I should do in the future.

    I've just stumbled across your blog and I'm loving it already. I must get on with my day though so I'll be back this evening with a cup of tea to scroll through your posts :)

    Lucy ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lucy! It's always nice to hear that people appreciate my blog :)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous - and so light and airy, too! :^)

    ReplyDelete

Have anything to say? Drop me a comment! I read and appreciate every single one.