Lady Dinahs Cat Emporium

Saturday, 25 April 2015









Everyone that knows me will tell you that I am obsessed with cats. Spend 15 minutes with me and you'll understand how they come to that conclusion too. If I'm not talking about them, I'm thinking about them. So just over a year ago when I caught news that 'Lady Dinah' was crowdfunding to open up a cafe which not only served delicious tea & cake, but allowed you to enjoy that experience with resident cats too, it really excited me. I pledged some funding to it myself and posted all over social media urging my friends to do the same. When it finally opened I was so excited, its been so popular ever since that I struggled to get myself booked in. The extra obstacle being that we'd have to make a weekend of it seeing as I'd be travelling hundreds of miles down the country for the pleasure.

When a week off work with nothing planned cropped up I decided to book us an AirBnB and a slot at the cafe. Booked in for high tea we arrived at Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium bright and early.  Greeted by staff with smiles, the excitement was buzzing inside me. We were sat downstairs in the basement with a variety of ingenious cat-friendly furniture items. Our drinks orders taken, the 'cat' experience took off with Alice one the newest kittens running down the stairs chasing a mouse on a string. Our food arrived fast, it was plentiful and tasty, we couldn't even finish it so asked for the cakes to be packed up for take out. We enjoyed an hour and a half in the company of the cafe's 12 cats. An amazing experience, Wookie the big brown tabby being my favourite of the group. Even if most of the cats were asleep I was still grateful to be in their presence.

The idea sprung from Japan where they go to the cafes to just enjoy the companionship and comfort offered from our feline friends. It isn't a petting zoo and nor should it be. I think there's nothing more beautiful than watching a sleeping cat, dozing away without a care in the world. I had a fantastic time and it was clear that the other patrons were enjoying themselves too. I'm hoping to experience it again someday if we ever happen to find ourselves down in London again.



1 comment:

Have anything to say? Drop me a comment! I read and appreciate every single one.